Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Mercedes-Benz Championship 1/3-1/6

The first tournament of the fantasy season is the Mercedes-Benz Championship. Only winners of events in 07 get invited to Hawaii for this event.
Tiger isn't making the trip to HI, along with other notable names in Mickelson, Padraig Harrington and Adam Scott. What that means is a small field is even smaller.

With a small field like this rosters can be very difficult to fill, especially when trying to stay within constraints like salary caps or player pools.

My personal feelings on this first event are that it is a big crap shoot. It's a new season and with that a fresh start for a lot of players. Who was hot in 2007 may not be in 08, and those disappoints of last year, might get the pieces back together again this year.
Basically, what I am saying is the Benz Championship is more or less a crap shoot in my mind!
With that said, here are my picks:

ESPN Best Ball

Chad Campbell - He disappointed me most of 2007. I'm hoping he can turn things around this season.

Steve Stricker - I'm still on the Stricker bandwagon. He made me look good last year, and I think he will again this year!

Jonathan Byrd - He put together a fine '07, and I think he will improve upon that, somewhat, this season.

Henrik Stenson - I like Stenson, so why not show him some love this first week?

BENCH: Hunter Mahan - I'm tempted to put Mahan in my starting lineup. Can he improve on his run he had last year? I highly doubt it, but if he comes close he could be a real force on the tour this season.


Yahoo! Fantasy Golf


A POOL
Henrik Stenson
Zach Johnson - Anyone who has read my column knows that I have had a man crush on ZJ for a couple of years now, and last year my crush became full blown love. I was disappointed with his finish last year, but I think Zach will have a very good 2008

B POOL
Jonathan Byrd
Chad Campbell
Daniel Chopra - Chopra disappointed me last year, but I'm willing to kiss and make up.
Steve Flesch - I honestly didn't like anyone else in the pool, so welcome to the team Mr. Flesch.

C POOL
Paul Goydos and Fred Funk are the ONLY two available players in this pool!

CBSSports.com Fantasy Golf Challenge dose not start until the Sony Open!

So there are my picks this week. Pretty unimpressive if I may say so myself, then again come Sunday they will probably look at lot worse or better!

BE SURE TO SEE THE PREVIOUS POST FOR LEAGUE SIGN-UP INFO!!!!

As always, if you have questions you can reach me at Southpaw@southpaw32.com

Good Luck!

2 comments:

GregW said...

Yay Southpaw! Glad to see that you're still alive and kickin'. Looking forward to more great advice from you this season. You sure saved my bacon last year all right.

Ashley said...

Wade! Good to see you're still alive and kicking with the golf columns! I guess I already set my lineup this week but I'll be happy to read your column next week.

Postman